One Day Trek to Purandar Fort (the birth place of Chhatrapati Sambhaji Maharaj) on Saturday, 6th October, 2018…
Trek Details and Itinerary…
Trek Grade: Easy
Trek Duration: 3:30 hours (45 mins ascent, 2 hours exploration, 45 mins descent)
Event Fee: Rs. 1,499 per person (pay 50% advance to confirm your seat)
Base Village: Purandar (Purandar Taluka, Pune District)
Height: 4,472 feet above mean sea level (MSL)
Join this Event on Facebook
Google Maps Location: click here
– This is the Fort where Chhatrapati Sambaji Maharaj was born.
– In 1665, the Fort was besieged by the forces of Aurangzeb under the command of Mirza Raje Jaisingh and assisted by Diler Khan. Murarbaji Deshpande, who was appointed as the killedar, offered strong resistance against the Mughal forces ultimately giving up his life in a struggle to retain the fort. At the lower Fort, a statue of Murarbaji Prabhu has been installed in his memory.
– Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj daunted at the prospect of the fall of Purandar Fort, signed a treaty known as the First Treaty of Purandar with Aurangzeb. As per the treaty, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj handed over 23 Forts including Purandar. The truce did not last long as Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj revolted against Aurangzeb and recaptured Purandar after just 5 years.
– Under the Peshwa rule, The Purandar Fort acted as a stronghold whenever their capital city of Pune was under attack.
– During the British Raj, the fort was used as a prison.
– The Fort has two distinct levels. The lower part is called the Machi. From the lower level of the machi, a staircase leads to the upper level called Ballekilla. The first structure of the Ballekilla that comes into view is the Dilli Darwaza (Delhi Gate). This area also houses an ancient Kedareshwar (Shiva) temple.
– On the top, one can find remains of old structures, Purandareshwar Temple, Rameshwar Temple, Khandakada, Bini Darwaza, Padmavati Lake and Bastions.
– Forts like Rajgad, Torna, Sinhagad, Raireshwar, Rohida, Malhargad can be seen from Purandar Fort.
– The 1,000 year old Narayaneshwar temple of Hemadpanthi architecture built by the Yadavas still exists in Narayanpur, the base village of Purandar. Adjoining the same is the famous Datta Mandir. This is a unique one as the idol is Ek Mukhi, unlike the three faced Dattatreya idols we see commonly.
1. Do Not Litter: Carry a disposable bag in which you can put your trash and dispose the bag off in a dustbin after the trek
2. No Smoking and Alcohol: Smoking cigarettes, chewing tobacco or related products and consuming alcohol is strictly prohibited on the trek
3. Stay in a Group: Don’t stray, stick together
4. No Plastic: Avoid buying plastic water bottles; get water bottles filled from home instead
5. No scribbling on monuments
6. No risky poses
7. No harm to or teasing of animals
8. No swimming in drinking water
9. Do not wear perfumes or make loud noise, else you will attract bees
10. Always wear full safety gear – ankle high trekking shoes, full sleeve t-shirt, full track pant, shades, cap, towel, torch, whistle
5:00 AM – Bus starts from Magathane Depot on the Western Express Highway, Borivali
5:15 AM – Bus reaches Oberoi Mall on the Western Express Highway, Goregaon
5:25 AM – Bus reaches Bisleri Bus Stop on the Western Express Highway, Andheri
5:35 AM – Bus reaches Vakola Police Station Bus Stop on the Western Express Highway, Vakola
5:55 AM – Bus reaches Sion (below the Sion Flyover)
6:05 AM – Bus reaches Jijamata Bhosle Marg Junction on the Eastern Express Highway
6:30 AM – Bus reaches Vashi Junction on the Sion-Panvel Expressway, have packed breakfast in the Bus
10:30 AM – Reach Purandar Fort, Start the Trek
11:15 AM – Reach atop Purandar Fort, explore
1:15 PM – Have lunch prepared by our local host on the Fort
2:00 PM – Start the descent
2:45 PM – Reach the Parking Lot
3:00 PM – Proceed towards Narayanpur
3:15 PM – Reach Narayanpur, visit Datta Mandir & Narayaneshwar Mahadev Mandir
3:45 PM – Proceed towards Saswad
4:00 PM – Reach Saswad, visit Peshwe Balaji Vishwanath Samadhi
4:30 PM – Leave for Mumbai
8:30 PM – Bus reaches Vashi
9:05 PM – Bus reaches Jijamata Bhosle Marg Junction
9:25 PM – Bus reaches Sion
9:50 PM – Bus reaches Vakola
10:05 PM – Bus reaches Andheri
10:20 PM – Bus reaches Goregaon
10:40 PM – Bus reaches Borivali
Google Maps Route:
Borivali to Purandar Fort (227 kms – 4:50 hrs) – click for route
Important things to carry:
– Copy of Identity Card
– Peanuts/Chana/Chikki for more stamina
– First Aid Kit (basic – dettol, nebasulf, cotton swabs, bandaids, small scissors, crocin, antibiotic for stomach ache, personal medications if any) – Note: the trek lead does carry a medical kit along
– 3 Bottles of water – this is a must, the more the better
– Electral (in a rare case of dehydration)
– Backpacks, preferably with rain cover (no sling bags or jholas)
– Ankle length Trekking Shoes (avoid shoes with plastic soles, you can keep spare floaters to wear after the Trek)
– T-shirt (preferably having full sleeves to protect against insect bites, sun burns, etc.)
– Track pants (preferably – again to protect against insect bites, sun burns, AVOID shorts, 3/4ths and denim pants)
– Cap or a bandana for covering your head
– Extra pair of clothes, socks & towel (packed in plastic bags for changing at the end of the trek)
– Plastic pouch to cover your mobile phone
– Torch (to explore any dark areas like caves, etc.)
– Swiss Knife (optional – may come handy)
– Paper tissues
– Avoid carrying gold or other valuable items (even expensive cameras)
Despite choosing safe trek destinations and taking all the necessary safety precautions, God forbid, if anything untoward happens (injury, loss or damage to person or property), Outdoors Redefined or its individual members will assume no responsibility for the same whatsoever.
Last Date to Register: 1 day prior to the Event i.e. till Friday, 5th October, 2018 or till the batch is full
Advance Payment: 50% i.e. Rs. 749/- per head (Non- Refundable) to register for this Event
Please deposit Advance Payment in the following bank account:
Account Name: Sagar Mahadeshwar
Bank Name: Saraswat Cooperative Bank
Bank Account No.: 055203100000679
Account Type: Savings
Bank Branch: Vikhroli West
IFSC Code: SRCB0000055
Transfer Description: Your Name – Purandar Trek Advance – 6 Oct
A confirmation phone call to the following contact person is necessary after you transfer the advance payment:
Sagar Mahadeshwar: 9892503550 / 8779885567 / 9892505557
In case, you can’t get through these numbers, please send SMS or Whatsapp message.
Event Fee Inclusions:
1. To and Fro Transportation (Non-AC Bus) from Mumbai to Base Village
2. Breakfast (Veg), Lunch (Veg) and Evening Tea
3. Facilitation and Guide Charges
Event Fee Exclusions:
1. To and Fro Transportation from your home to the bus pick-up/drop point
2. Any other thing not mentioned in Inclusions
1. The Event will be cancelled if it doesn’t get at least 6 participants
2. If an Event is cancelled due to inadequate participation or unavoidable circumstances (like transport failure, riots, etc.) or acts of God (like Natural calamities, etc.), the registrants can opt to either (i) transfer the refund amount to any other future Event of ours or (ii) get us to transfer it to their Bank accounts
Other Terms & Conditions apply.